Thursday, July 18, 2013

Possession #139 - Desk

I'm not quite sure what to call this possession. It's the only thing I ever purchased at an auction. A nearby benedictine monastery was closing one of its buildings which they used to run as a school and I purchased one of the old desks. I got it because I spent a year in the building while participating in a program on spiritual direction. The monastery was home to a nursing facility for retired nuns and so we would worship every morning with about 50 nuns between the age of 100 - 150. It was a wonderful experience and when I had a chance to have a piece of furniture to remind me of it, I took it. Now the desk is the place where I keep a number of things which might be called "sacred" objects: A singing bowl that Jean bought for me at an international store. A fish tile that I bought at a super cool pottery store. Some prayer beads. A couple rocks from a stream at a retreat place I went to. A picture of a sculpture I like. I suppose the desk now serves as a little oasis in my office. A little reminder of things that are important to me. Others might call it a shrine or a cluttery mess. I like it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your sacred space! I have one of these too, in my office/study at home.

    ReplyDelete