Thursday, October 31, 2013

Possession #171 - Cassette Tapes

In high school I stayed up til midnight one night to make a cassette of the Barry Manilow double live album that a radio station was playing. Yes, I know, you can't believe I said the words "cassette" and "Barry Manilow" in the same sentence...but I just want to lay it all out for you upfront. The point is, itunes used to be known as CD's and they used to be known as Albums and they used to be recorded on cassettes. Cassettes made it very easy for someone like me to become my own DJ and make a mix tape or even record my own low-budget dramas. With dual players it was even easy to make copies until one of the tapes got eaten by the machine. Most of my cassettes are long gone, but a few are around, not because I have a player anywhere in the house, but because...ummm...isn't there a law against throwing away Barry Manilow tapes?

No comments:

Post a Comment