Monday, October 14, 2013

Possession #165 - Coat Hangers

I don't consider our family excessively clothed. Our two children are out of the home most of the year and we don't have either a large home or a walk-in closet in which to expand our wardrobe. And yet...a casual count of the coat hangers in my house adds up to 267. Most of them are being used.

Some historians credit Thomas Jefferson with inventing a precursor of the modern coat hanger. The standard wire coat hanger was probably invented some time around 1869. My question?...what did people do before hangers?...They must have had a lot more chairs in the house!

Coat hangers are notorious for a broad range of purposes other than an object on which to hang coats, shirts and such. You can break into your car with one. You can make an antenna for your TV. They have been used dramatically. Make an ipad stand. I've used coat hangers for more projects than I can count...primarily in the construction and manipulation of puppets.

In Iowa they're prone to use bailing wire. But I still like a good ol' coat hanger for most repairs and quick constructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment