Sunday, September 1, 2013

Possession #154 - Spinning Top

This is another spinning top from my collection. This one, from the king of toy shops - FAO Schwartz. Founded in 1862, it's the oldest toy store in America. My only sadness in all this is the FAO Schwartz is now owned by the Toys R Us corporation... I'm wondering why it is that I like to purchase something which I consider handmade form a family-owned company than something that came off an assembly line from a big corporation? I suppose, most of the time, we're fooling ourselves when we think we're getting something tied more closely to the people who made it. Something like 90% of the things which we own traveled in a shipping container on a big boat across the ocean somewhere. I'm not quite sure this is the sign of a civilized world.

No comments:

Post a Comment