Thursday, May 16, 2013

Possession #107 - Mailbox

Yes, we have one of these...ummm...what do you call these things? I recall a time when I used to use it quite a bit. In fact, I remember a few times when I almost lived next to it waiting for something to arrive. These days, it does deliver a lot of junk and bills, but not a whole lot else. I hardly ever send a letter. I send things via...well, this thing. And yet, I'm old enough that there's still a bit of a thrill to receiving an actual piece of paper that existed in real time and space somewhere else and now comes to my door. But mostly, well, there's a reason they call it "snail mail."

This does make me wonder if we are too addicted to speed. You know that commercial, "Which is better? Faster or slower?" Even kids, apparently, know that faster is better. But even though we usually seek the faster way, I have a hard time calling it better. Isn't it also true that most of us long for a moment in which we can "slow down?" Don't we want to exit out of the "fast lane" and opt out of the "rat race?" There is a sense within us that things are moving too fast and unless we intentionally practice doing some things slower, we might lose touch with such values completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment