Monday, January 14, 2013

Possession #2 - Junk Drawer

I know you all have one of these...a junk drawer. This is the current contents of our kitchen junk drawer (minus the drawer). The collection of keys that don't open anything up anymore. Spare batteries. Eyeglass repair kits. Lot's of tape (we just finished Christmas gift wrapping season). Ping pong ball - what? Don't even ask why there are more than one noseflute in our drawer. This drawer accumulates all the stuff that doesn't neatly fit into a category - utensil, game, cooking equipment, store receipts, etc...

Doesn't it seem true that our stuff tends to accumulate into little groupings around our homes. Like dust-bunnies, possessions that are similar cling to each other forming larger and larger piles until simply having a pile of something seems to justify adding just one more to it. But there's always the odd item that doesn't fit anywhere but seems necessary to the household operation. By the way, I already see that one of the issues of this project is that I can't possibly (reasonably?) photograph ever single object that I possess (individual noodles?). So there will be times I will make the decision to photograph groups of objects. And especially since the items in my junk drawer already have some amount of rejection anxiety, I've kept them all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment