Friday, January 18, 2013

Possession #6 - The Flagship Niagara

Continuing on my theme of rather miscellaneous stuff around the house, here's a medallion of the flagship Niagara which was given to us by friends when we moved from Erie, Pennsylvania. This and other similar objects we own remind us of friendships and places. My guess is that this is the kind of "priceless" stuff that people really miss when they lose their homes.

I noticed today that Merriam-Webster’s first definition of “possession” is: “the act of having or taking into control.” Is that why it’s so hard to let go of our stuff…it’s a matter of losing control? What kind of control do we gain through our possessions? What's hardest to let go of? Maybe for me, some of these possessions tell me who I am - they tell something of my life story and so they give meaning to my life. I'd hate to let go of that.

2 comments: