Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Possession #4 - Kitchen Kitch Shelf

Seems like this week I'm focusing on little stuff...the hoards of possessions that accumulate seemingly on their own. A couple days ago...the kitchen junk drawer. Today...the shelf above the sink. Maybe one reason we can't get rid of stuff is that a lot of it is attached to a story. The "I love NY" pig?...Jean grew up in New York. the "whatever" mug?...Megan's favorite response to any question. The miniature milk can salt and pepper shakers?...from Jean's childhood. The Clarinet mouthpiece?...from my Junior High band. The scary ceramic face?...Nick's 5th grade art project. You get the idea. We can't get rid of this stuff because there's meaning attached to every item. At least it doesn't look like Liberace's collection of stuff which you can view HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Thought I'd explain a couple more: Miniature Jesus?...a gift after helping with an installation (the head comes off to reveal a hidden compartment). Dried mushroom and bird feather?...I like to collect stuff I find on walks. Bottle with blue sand and sea shells?...gift from Jean when she visited the coast. Blue glass thing (behind the forehead thermometer)?...actually that is an original Shirley Temple piece of glassware that my mom had...now full of...ummm...stuff.

    ReplyDelete