Monday, January 28, 2013

Possession #16 - Rug

When we purchased this rug we had just moved to a small town and were looking for something to put on our nice wood floors. A local store had a nice selection of rugs that might work, but we weren't sure. The owner of the store told us to go ahead and take it home and try it out to see if we liked it. Being mostly from bigger cities I waited for the "catch." I was waiting for what sort of promises I would be obligated to if I walked out the door with the rug. I pulled out my wallet assuming some sort of collateral would be needed - a credit card, driver's licence, my first born child... at the very least, an exchange of vital information. Instead, the owner told us she didn't need a thing, she knew who we were, she trusted us with her rug. We walked out with the rug and had our our first lesson in the uniquely amazing culture of small town America.

We kept the rug. At first I didn't really want to walk on it for fear of getting it dirty. I certainly didn't think our dog should lie on it...that lasted for about a day. Now, I've never put plastic slip covers on our couches, but I do get a little hyper-sensitive about "messing up" things. In my perfect world, I supposed, we wouldn't sit on the chairs, walk on the rugs or put food on the dining room table. Why is it I'm sometimes afraid to use things for the purposes that they were created? I guess I have a hard time trusting things to do what they're supposed to do and I want them to last forever without wearing out. I'm learning......we all wear out.

No comments:

Post a Comment