Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Possession #17 - Lamp on a stand

I always love to listen to the gritty graciousness of Anne Lamotte. She once wrote in a Salon article, "Everything I've ever let go of, has claw marks on it." She was talking about forgiveness, but I suppose the same thing could be true about our stuff...maybe they're kind of the same thing.

I love lamps. I'd rather turn on three lamps if I can extinguish one overhead light (spotlights I call them). I've always had a thing for subdued lighting - candles, fireplaces, Christmas tree lights. I'd banish all fluorescent lighting if I could. Candlelight always hides the imperfections in the meal and makes for a more intimate atmosphere....atmosphere, that's the thing! If Jesus is the light of the world, I choose to believe he's a candle or a string of glowing tree lights rather than an antiseptic fluorescent. Also...keeping the lights dim is a great way to take care of all the dust on the bookshelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment