Saturday, February 9, 2013

Possession #28 - Pens and Pencils

I'm convinced that pencils and pens breed at night while cohabitating inside their coffee mug containers. There can be no other explanation for the sheer number of writing utensils given the fact that I mostly write on a computer. This pile I'm sure only represents a small percentage of the actual amount of ink and graphite in my home. I gathered these by the most cursory of glances in the most obvious gathering spots. But, like dust bunnies, these things accumulate under couch cushions, between the fridge and countertop, under the bed, and at the bottom of bags and stuck inside books.

Actually, I've always been a bit touchy about my pens and pencils. I freely discriminate between ones that feel good to the touch and make a good mark, and those which are habitually ignored and unused. I have my favorites and am almost unable to write without them.

In order to give some respect to these useful tools, I give you a website that you absolutely must visit: David Rees' "Artisanal Pencil Sharpening" business is truly the most wonderful thing I've seen this week! Let me know if you pay him $35 to get your pencil sharpened from a true crafts-person.

No comments:

Post a Comment