Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Possession #39 - China

We picked out our china pattern after we got engaged; about a dozen settings of wonderful - beautiful china. But mostly it gathers dust. Is this because we're afraid to break it? I don't know why...we'd never miss it. Because we think it looks too nice for informal gatherings? More likely. What's the matter? You can eat on it and it looks good. We should use it! Instead, it mostly languishes in the lower reaches of the china cabinet. China cabinet? Yes, we'll get to that later.

This suggests a whole category of stuff - stuff that we value highly but rarely if ever use. The silver salt and pepper shakers? My table saw? My tuxedo jacket (that's another story)? What gives these things their value? It clearly isn't their usefulness. Perhaps they are some of the gear that I feel I must have but don't really need. Perhaps neither of us want to the be the one to suggest their imminent demise.

My wife pulled out the china for our valentines dinner the other night. We definitely have to do that more often.

1 comment:

  1. These are really great ideas in about blogging. You have touched some nice things here.

    Any way keep up wrinting.

    My homepage: Diets That Work

    ReplyDelete