Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Possession #45 - KitchenAid Mixer

I love my KitchenAid mixer. It's sturdy, efficient, and makes really good cookie dough. I don't know how people (mostly women) managed in the kitchen before modern appliances. I take that back...I do know how...I just shake my head in disbelief. I'm from a generation that mostly thinks making a cake from scratch involves a box of Betty Crocker mix.

The first patent for an electric mixer was given to Rufus W Eastman in 1885. It could be powered by either electricity or water. Now, my kitchen is brimming with specialty devices that make my life easier (in theory). We have all probably wondered, though, whether or not convenience and efficiency is really worth as much as we once thought it was. Certainly our most cherished relationships are rarely convenient or efficient, yet we'd never trade them for a brand new mixer. For now, however, I'll keep the mixer. My mom gave it to us and it's stayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment