Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Possession #65 - Pillar of the Church

Pastors tend to collect stuff from the different churches where they worked. This is an actual bit of the building from the last church where we served. We will never lead worship in such a beautiful space. It seems like beauty can work like a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it can point toward something larger than itself. Beauty can enlarge your view of life and create awe and wonder. On the other hand, you can get stuck on the beautiful object and not look beyond it at the mystery that gives beauty its life. I remember that there was such a debate at the time when the ancient Athenians were contemplating building the Parthenon. Some thought it would point people to the power of the gods. Others thought it was unnecessary ostentation which would detract from the gods. I'm glad they ended up building it. However...simplicity is also a good thing. Obviously, I'm not good at coming to decisions.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and
    reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I've included you guys to my own blogroll.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site: Healthy Diet Plans

    ReplyDelete