Friday, March 1, 2013

Possession #48 - Crystal Glasses

These are real crystal glasses with actual gold stuff on them. I don't think we've ever dared to use them. They come from my wife's aunt and look beautiful on the lighted shelf of our china cabinet - a piece of furniture designed to hold beautiful things that are never used.

I wouldn't say that I've ever been tempted to put plastic covers on the couch, but at times I verge on being overly obsessive about keeping stuff from breaking or even looking...well, used. I'm afraid that if we use an object for its intended purpose, it might in some way ruin it...what if something goes wrong! As I grow older, I'm trying to loosen up a bit. I don't have heart palpitations at every scratch in the table and I let the dog rub her slobbery nose on my carpet (OK, slight palpitations). A part of living is allowing yourself to actually live in your house instead of trying to simply save it for show. I don't know why I'm so paranoid about this since I've always had an aversion to other peoples' homes that look more like museums than actual places where people live. I'm trying hard to find the joy in all my stuff instead of just keeping it safe for a future that never seems to be quite here. I guess what I'm trying to say is...life is meant to be lived. The rest is just for show.

No comments:

Post a Comment