Sunday, March 10, 2013

Possession #56 - Bread Maker

Labor Saving devices always seem like a good idea at the time. Like these turn of the last century irons designed to put fancy ruffles on the sleeves of shirts...I'm sure they made someone think they were zipping head long into the future! Likewise, my bread maker makes wonderful bread with little effort, but sometimes I wonder if I'm losing something without all the messy flour and effort-full kneading. Sometimes, it seems like more effort might be a better idea than less.

I'm ever so slightly annoyed by those clever and cute AT&T commercials which have little children expounding on the idea that "Faster is better than slower" and "bigger is better than smaller." Yes, perhaps, at times...yet the march towards so-called "progress" is rife with pitfalls. Many of us now see that faster and bigger come with a cost which we are willing, at times, to pay. But sometimes not. For now, I'm keeping the bread maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment