Thursday, March 14, 2013

Possession #60 - Dining Room Table

One of the objects I'll always remember from my parent's home is the big dining room table. It was constantly expanding and contracting with its extra leaves in order to accommodate friends, family and other assorted guests. So, when we started adding furniture to replace the crates and loose boards that made up our grad school housing, we found a nice oak expandable dining room table. I can't say it gets quite the use as my parents' table, but it's an object with an intention - to make our home a place of welcome and hospitality. Unlike my parents' table, it also serves other purposes: Daily mail sorting table, family game table, music stand, and bill sorting surface. Any big flat surface in a home is bound to accumulate lots of assorted stuff. Luckily it gets too much traffic to gather dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment