Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Possession #51 - Computer Modem

There was no post yesterday because my modem stopped working (like it does about every other year) and the snowstorm came. So I'm posting this possession on the last day that it will be in my house - tomorrow it goes the way of the Dodo Bird only to be replaced by a new frustrating piece of modern technology. Every now and then I need a technology meltdown so that I don't come to expect everything to come to me quite so instantly.

I read an article about a company that's spending $300 million to build a new transatlantic cable to shave 6 milliseconds from the present 65-millisecond transit time that it takes to send computer information between London and New York. Said one stock broker in the article, "The speed-of-light limitation is getting annoying." I hope I don't become so addicted to speed and flawless networking that I get frustrated by the slower-than-sludge speed of light. "Wait!" says that Psalms fairly regularly. Maybe they had the same problem of impatience even back when nothing moved faster than a camel. I'm working on it...as long as I can get this darn modem working!

No comments:

Post a Comment