Thursday, March 28, 2013

Possession #73 - Bed

In grad school I made the bed. I don't mean I tucked in the covers. I mean I built the platform on which we put the mattress. When we started earning actual salaries we bought a real bed with box mattress and everything. Then it wouldn't fit up the stairs in our newest home. So we got a split box spring. Then my back started bothering me and we thought it might be the warn out top mattress, so we bought a new one which I loved but was too firm for my wife. So, we got a sleep number bed with dual controls. Right now, happiness is dual mattress controls.

All of this makes me wonder how primitive people managed to sleep at night with only rocks and leaves and stuff to sleep on. Even the more recent beds with ropes and straw seem guaranteed to keep a person up all night. Either we're all sleeping a lot better these days or our backs have become extremely picky. Most nights I'm just glad to have this wonderful place to crawl in with a nice thick quilt on top. I am truly thankful for this bit of luxury and will think twice before heading out on another camping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment