Friday, March 29, 2013

Possession #74 - Water Heater

A month ago we noticed the tell-tale drip indicating a leak in our water heater. We knew a call to the plumber was soon to be made. Why is it that these kinds of purchases feel like root canal - something you only buy under protest. And yet, these kinds of things are usually our most basic needs...hot water, cool air, good teeth...I'm thankful for these things much more than my new pair of pants or dinner at the Olive Garden. Does the fact that I have so much mean that sometimes I lose track of the basic infrastructure that keeps me going on a daily basis? I suppose cities are the same way - they'd rather buy the new swimming pool or soccer field than repave west 7th street.

Learning how to give thanks isn't just a good way to be polite. It helps one keep things in perspective... Every morning I give thanks for....yes... hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment