Thursday, April 11, 2013

Possession #81 - Antique Dresser

This is one of the only pieces of furniture that we purchased from an antique store. I have no idea what its history is, but I like it. I like things with a past - things that have been around before me and weren't made to be disposed after a brief moment of usefulness. This dresser served as a baby changing table for awhile, then storage for a few things. Now it sits at the top of the stairs where it serves no real purpose. I don't think anyone has opened the drawers in years. We put pictures on the top and like how it looks.

One of the problems of modern society is the pressure on everything and everyone to prove their worth by how useful they are. This seems to me to be a losing equation. All of us, at some point, lose our usefulness...usually slowly over a long period of time. Yet, that doesn't make us of less worth. Useless stuff like this nice piece of wooden furniture reminds me that I'm still worth something even when I can't seem to be of much use to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment