Saturday, April 13, 2013

Possession #83 - Games

Apparently humans have been playing board games since about 3000 BC. The family I grew up in played them for my entire life. Starting with games like Chutes and Ladders and moving on in complexity until the 4 of us learned how to play bridge together which we mostly did without cheating too much.

My own family has endured the rise of video games and so our commitment to board games was somewhat less, but still quite strong. We have a pretty good collection and this picture represents dice, markers and cards from most of the games in our primary game cabinet (the secondary cabinet is in the basement and will have to wait for future depiction). In recent years, games that I grew up with as parlor games have been turned into board games by clever companies who have made a mint by selling a box full of equipment for a game that really only needs a pencil and paper.

I'm glad we taught our kids how to play games. I think they teach important lessons (how to win without gloating, how to lose without crying, how to spend a fun evening with friends). Even though our kids are mostly gone from the house now, they still sometimes play games with their friends. It makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment