Saturday, April 27, 2013

Possession #94 - Lawn Mower

When I was growing up, my dad had an old reel mower, but every since lawn mowing became one of my chores, I've used a machine not all that different from the one we use now. In our last home, our garage was broken into one day and all they took was the lawn mower which was an old push mower that seems like an odd thing to steal. We've lived in our present location for almost 8 years and in that short period of time we've been through 4 mowers. The first one came from the last house and started breaking down soon after arriving. Our neighbor repaired it a couple of times but alas, it was terminal. Then we bought a used mower from a local repair shop which turned out to be a bad investment. So, we had to sell it back and then buy a cheap new one at Walmart. It lasted about three years before giving up the ghost. Generally, I get to choose these kinds of tools for the home, but this time my wife specified a self-propelled machine. So, now she, with her bad feet, and me, with my bad back, limp around our little lawn with a self-propelled mower.

At times, all the effort we take to make lawns look "unnatural" seem downright absurd. You might be interested in this imaginary conversation between St. Francis and God... I wonder what it is in us that compel us to exert such control over the environment? Certainly, garages could be much smaller if we could eliminate all the lawn and garden equipment. But not this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment