Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Possession #86 - Button Down Shirts

When I went to work at my first church right after college, my dad told me I had to dress appropriately, by which he meant coat and tie. I used to own at least a half dozen white button down shirts which went with my various coat and tie combinations. Now, I don't own a single white button down shirt and whenever I wear a coat everyone knows I have a funeral to go to. I still, though, wear button down shirts, usually with a tie. I suppose that puts me in the "old" category even if my shirts are fairly colorful.

Somewhere I read that the most widespread change that came about during the 60's was the informalization of the culture. Beginning around the time, both conservatives and liberals, people all across the spectrum, started dressing less formally to church, to work, around the house, out to dinner and most everywhere else. I'm glad that I no longer have to wear a tie to work every day. But informal dress codes also bring about some amount of confusion at certain occasions like weddings and funerals. We express ourselves through our clothing and when rigid rules about apparel break down, we are both set free and confused.

I kind of like what one person did that I know...he just bought everything in black so that he never worried a whole lot about what to wear. Maybe that's why some people take on occupations that have uniforms. ...I'm tired...I'm going home and putting on my slippers and robe!

No comments:

Post a Comment