Monday, April 8, 2013

Possession #78 - Dog

I'm back from my trip and although I know my wife is glad to see me, my dog sure seems like it...but it could be she's just looking for a handout. It doesn't quite seem right to list our dog as a possession - I'm not keen on owning a living creature. But since she is a part of the house, it seems like I ought to include her.

I grew up with a dog, but resisted having one of our own until we made the mistake of taking our kids to "visit" some puppies. Within the week, we had one. Dogs are messy and troublesome (like children) but seem important to a life lived well. She has already earned her lifetime supply of dog food through lessons taught to her human caretakers...and we're still learning.

She's part black lab and part basset from a litter of 7 that came from a friend's rescue dog. Because her fur is so wonderfully black, I can't seem to take a picture that I like of her...so for now, the paw will have to do.

I think life needs disruptions...if not from a dog, then something else. It's unhealthy to have a perfectly functioning home that looks flawless and makes no demands. Life needs a bit of chaos and messiness to engender humility and compassion. A dog will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment